top of page
  • Writer's picturePaul B. Plant

3 Ways Caregivers Can Get Financial Assistance

Updated: Jun 30, 2023

If you are a caregiver looking for financial assistance, there are several programs that may be able to help you. While you will still have to pay some out-of-pocket, taking advantage of these services can help you reduce the amount that you are personal spending on caregiving. Here are three ways you can get financial help.

  1. Medicaid Medicaid provides financial assistance to seniors seeking services that can help them to live independently in their home or in an assisted living community. It is health care coverage for low-income people. If your senior loved one is eligible for Medicaid, your state may have a participant-directed program that will pay family members as caregivers

  2. Supplemental Security Income While Social Security will not pay benefits if you are taking care of a senior parent who is 65 or older, is low-income, is blind, or disabled. However, your senior parent may qualify for Supplemental Security Income. Supplemental Security Income is an income supplement program funded by the Federal government. It is different from Social Security. This program provides money to help meet basic food, clothing, and shelter needs for seniors who are blind, disabled, or have little to no income.

  3. Department of Veterans Affairs In addition to providing veterans’ assistance to senior veterans, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has programs that are aimed at helping low-income veterans’ family caregivers. The Aid and Attendance program pays veterans who need help with activities of daily life. Spouses of veterans may also qualify for this program. The Housebound program helps pay for veterans who may need help moving around outside of their home. The Veteran-Directed Home- and Community-Based Services program pays for the long-term care of veterans of any age who hire family members as caregivers. This last program may not be available in all states. Posted by April Davis on Jun 22, 2017 9:00:00 AM, The Cottages Blog.


Paul B. Plant, Esq., Harwell & Plant

225 Mahr Ave., Lawrenceburg, TN, 38464

Open: Monday – Thursday 9AM – 5PM | Friday 9AM – 3PM


bottom of page